Well hello there!
Have you ever noticed how influencing the media can be? How much power does it have over our minds and thoughts? What do we do, and how do we do them? Growing up I have realized just how powerful the media can be on everyone because I noticed it a lot in myself. The way I dress, the way I do my makeup, and even the way I view relationships, have all been influenced by media representation.
I started to wonder if this had as much power on others as it did on me. The short answer is media does in fact have some sort of power or influence over us. The other day I had a conversation with a friend about fashion. We talked about dad jeans because I had recently just bought a pair of them. I asked her what she thought about them and she replied vaguely “those aren't even in style”. They were cute pants and I really liked them and how they made me feel but I was brought down by the comment she had made. Just because they weren't in style anymore did not mean they were any less stylish but the media tells us differently.
I care about what is said in media so much so that I am blindsided by the actuality of things. In modern media, women's bodies are worshiped if they look a certain way, and women all over the world including me are starting to think that we have to change our bodies or looks to match what is seen in the media. I've also started noticing little things like advertisements with only society's version of attractive actors on them.
News reports about local crimes scare people from ever going anywhere near these cities and locations; they influence their judgment heck, it's even influenced mine. I've noticed News channels were created for more than just news but for exaggeration, “Who can get the best story”. This sometimes means that the news isn't always reliable because they will spin things to make them the most watchable and popular. “You can't always believe what you see on tv.” That's what my dad used to tell me.
I'm growing to realize that things arent as simple as they seem on media. It is a good source of information but it's definitely not the best. It makes it hard for me to truly know what decisions to make. I face this dilemma every day I open my phone and scroll on social media like TikTok or Facebook. I see posts about what the best lipstick is to buy and I want to buy it immediately even though I have a perfectly good one at home.
However, since I have noticed the impact media has had on me and my life I've learned to be wiser and think twice about the things I see. It made me wiser with my choices and easier to say no to things like trends. It really is crazy how much media can take over a person's life but learning that it doesn't have to be that way can make life simpler.
What do you think about media and its influence? How has it affected you? Comment below I would love to hear!
Thanks for stopping by see you in my next blog!



No comments:
Post a Comment